Aurora Concert and Philharmonic Orchestras
OMEA State Orchestra Adjudicated Event
Friday, February 21, 2014
Location: February 4, 2014
Hudson High School
All students must ride the bus to the event. Please be on time!
Philharmonic Orchestra will begin dressing into uniforms around 6:30 PM and will board the bus at 6:55 PM. Students will take violins/violas with them on the bus. We are loading cellos and basses in a school van. We may need assistance from a few parents to transport large instruments in min-vans/vehicles if we cannot fit it all in the school van. We perform at 8:30 PM. Students may get a ride home with their own parent only if they have a signed note and sign them out with me after the performance. You will still need to return your uniforms to the parent volunteers at AHS! The bus will leave Hudson High School at 9:30 ish to come back to Aurora by around 9:45 PM. I will not be able to return on the bus with the students, so I will need parent volunteer to ride back on the bus with the students as a chaperone. We will leave the school cellos and basses at Hudson High School for the concert orchestra students to use. They will return them to AHS.
Concert Orchestra students should arrive at AHS by 8:00 PM to get dressed in their uniforms. We will board the bus to depart at 8:30 PM. We perform at 10:20 PM. Students may get a ride home with a parent after the performance if they have a signed note and they sign out with me. After we are done performing and have received our rating, we will load the instruments on the bus/van (including cellos and basses) and I will ride back on the bus with the students. We will return at AHS around 11:30 PM. This time is estimated. We will have to wait for our scores and judge’s comment sheets to be released before we can leave Hudson High School. The event organizers will actually try to get us on stage before our scheduled 10:20 time slot, so please be flexible – especially if you are planning on watching the performance.
Philharmonic Orchestra– 8:30 PM at Hudson High School Auditorium
Concert Orchestra – Approximately 10:20 PM at Hudson H.S. Auditorium although it may be as early as 10:00 PM. Be flexible.
Philharmonic Orchestra will return to Aurora High School approx. 9:45 PM. Concert Orchestra will return to Aurora High School approx. 11:30 PM.
I realize that this is not ideal. I requested for our groups to compete on Friday because of the numerous scheduling conflicts including sporting events, a math league competition and student work schedules that take place on Saturday. Friday’s host site is Hudson which is much more convenient than Saturday’s host site (Lakewood HS). Some group has to go last and this year we drew the short straw. These are circumstances beyond our control. I appreciate your help in keeping a positive attitude and realizing what an important opportunity this is to continue to break school records and perform well. Thank you for your support and help.
- Attendance is mandatory and is a huge portion of your grade. This is the largest and most important event in which our orchestra will participate this year. Orchestras need to perform at a very high level to do well at this STATE event. We are very honored to participate in this event.
- Parents are welcome and encouraged to watch us perform for the judges. Parents should park near the Auditorium on the EAST side of the building and use the Auditorium entrance. Please also enter the auditorium at least 15 min. before the beginning of the performance. Once the performance begins the doors will be shut and you will not be admitted. Please be advised that photography or recording devises of any kind are strictly prohibited. Violations of this rule could lower our score or disqualify our performing ensembles. Immediately after each performance, the orchestra will be escorted to the sight-reading room for the final part of the adjudicated event. This portion of the contest is closed to the public.
- After the sight-reading portion of the performance, the orchestra will return to the homeroom to get ready to depart. All students who wish to go home with their parents after the performance, must be signed out by their parents. Students will only be allowed to go home with their own parents, not with a friend, brother, or another person’s parent. All other students will ride the bus back to Aurora H.S.
**We will also need parent volunteers to stay with our belongings in our homerooms during the performances. If any parent is interested in being a homeroom chaperone, please contact me at email@example.com . We need to have an adult stay in the homeroom at all times (including the performances). Last year some Aurora students vandalized the homeroom by writing “Aurora Rules” on the dry erase board. If we have another incident this year we will be banned from further competitions. These are OMEA rules. This is why I need parent chaperones to help monitor the kids and the rooms.
Volunteer parents needed for help in the following areas:
1. One Philharmonic parent to ride the bus with the students to Hudson and one to ride the bus back with them to Aurora
2. Two Concert Orchestra parents to help the kids get on the bus and ride the bus to Hudson. I do not need anyone to ride the bus home. I will be riding the bus with the kids.
3. Two Philharmonic parents to monitor the homeroom at the event site during the performance
4. Two Concert Orchestra parents to monitor the homeroom at the event site during the performance
If interested, please call or email me at:
6-12th Orchestra Director
Music Department Chair
Schedule for Friday, Feb. 21, 2014
This is going to be a very busy evening as we are going to have two groups competing in the event. I will need the help of several parent chaperones to make this work. Please let me know if you are interested.
PHILHARMONIC ORCHESTRA STUDENTS
- 6:30 PM – Philharmonic Orchestra students change into uniforms. Please bring black shoes and socks!
- 7:00 PM - depart for Hudson High School with parent chaperone
- 7:20 PM – arrive at Hudson HS. Teacher will register group and escort will take students and parent chaperones to Aurora’s homeroom. We are not allowed to practice in the homeroom – only tune our instruments.
- 8:00 PM – Philharmonic Orchestra will be escorted to the warm-up room. Two orchestra parent volunteers will need to stay in the homeroom and watch belongings.
- 8:30 PM – Philharmonic orchestra will perform in auditorium. We will immediately go to the sight reading room for the final portion of the performance. This part of the competition is closed to the public. After sight reading, the Philharmonic orchestra will return to the homeroom. Students may go home with their parents if they have signed out with Mr. Burdett. You will still need to return your uniforms to the parent volunteers at AHS! All students who are not going home with a parent will return to AHS on the bus with parent chaperone. Mr. Burdett will not return with you. You will depart Hudson around 9:30 PM
- 9:45 PM – Philharmonic Orchestra students arrive at AHS. Return uniforms to parent volunteers. Enjoy the rest of your evening.
CONCERT ORCHESTRA STUDENTS
- 8:00 PM – Concert Orchestra students arrive at AHS to dress into their uniforms. Make sure you have black dress shoes and black dress socks. Parent helpers will make sure everyone is properly dressed. All Cellos/Basses will already be at Hudson High School. Make sure you have your music!
- 8:30 PM – Bus leaves AHS for Hudson High School.
- 9:00 PM - arrive at Hudson. Mr. Burdett will register group and escort will take students and parent chaperones to Aurora’s homeroom. We are not allowed to practice in the homeroom – only tune our instruments.
- 9:20 PM - Concert orchestra will be escorted to the warm-up room. An orchestra parent volunteer will need to stay in the homeroom and watch belongings.
- 10:00 PM (ish) – Concert orchestra will perform in auditorium. Our assigned time is 10:20, but the event organizers are going to try to speed up the process and get us in there earlier. Please be flexible. Parents, please make sure you are in the auditorium plenty early. They will close the doors once the performance begins and you will not be allowed to enter. After the performance, we will immediately go to the sight reading room for the final portion of the competition. This part is closed to the public. After sight reading, we will all go to the homeroom to pack up. We will then go to the cafeteria to wait for our ratings to be posted. We cannot leave until the ratings are posted and Mr. Burdett has picked up the adjudicator’s comment sheets. Students may go home with their parents if they have signed out with Mr. Burdett. You will still need to return your uniforms to the parent volunteers at AHS! All students who are not going home with a parent will return to AHS on the bus with Mr. Burdett.
- 11:30 PM – bus arrives at AHS. Please make sure you have a ride ready to pick you up by 11:30 PM. It will be a long day for all of us and we will all want to go home and rest.
Get plenty of rest and good luck to everyone.