Recommendations for Extra Strings
All students should have extra strings with them in class in case one breaks. That way I can immediately replace it for them so there is no down time in class. All students should change their strings at least once per year. Please see the String List for recommendations. You can often find strings for less money online than you can in a traditional store.
It is highly recommended that violins and violas have a quality shoulder rest rather than just a sponge. There is a large selection for a wide price range available. It may be best to try them out in a music store first to see how well fit on your shoulder and then shop around for the best price.
Area Music Stores and Instrument Dealers
This is a partial list of area music stores and instrument dealers that can be used for instrument repairs and supply purchases such as strings, shoulder rests and mutes and to purchase instruments. They are in alphabetical order and being on this website does not represent an endorsement. This is simply a reference for parents and students.
- Academy Music (Solon – 33505 Station St.) - (440) 248-1745
- Akron Music Center (Chapel Hill Mall area) -330-945-6200 http://www.akronmusic.com/
- Central Instrument Company (Cuyahoga Falls - they do deliveries to the school) – 1800-442-6000 www.cicmusic.com
- Cleveland Violins – (Cleveland Hts) 216-932-9310 www.clevelandviolins.com
- Martin's Violin Shop - (North Canton) 330-499-3116 www.martinsviolinshop.com
- Peter Zaret violins (Mayfield) - 440-461-1411 www.zaretandsonsviolins.com
- Reese Williams Violins (Fairview Park) - 440-333-5984 http://reesewilliamsviolins-com.webs.com/
- Rettig Music (Parma and Strongsville) 440-808-0900 http://rettigmusic.com/
- Stearn's Violins (Hartville - they do deliveries to the school) - 1888-642-2579 http://www.stearnsviolins.com/
- Terry Carlin (2026 Murray Hill Rd. Suite #206, Cleveland) 216-791-2440
- Woodsy’s Music (Kent) - 1800-468-1525 http://www.woodsys.com/t-RepairHorns.aspx
- Young's Strings (Stow) 330-688-1754
If you rent an instrument, then the rental company will take care of any repairs. If you own your instrument, please be carefull about who does your repair work. Students have had a very good experience with Stearn's Violins repair department. There may be others that also have a good reputation. Bridge work should only take a day or two. Bow rehairs should be about a week. If a repair is going to take a long time, then the repair company should be willing to give you a loaner instrument to use. Try to do major repairs over the summer to avoid down time in class.
You can purchase supplies from any of the above stores and:
- Aurora School of Music
- Sam Ash Music Store (Mayfield)
- Guitar Center (Mayfield)
There are several websites that can be good for purchasing supplies, strings and sheet music:
1. Shar Music - www.sharmusic.com
2. Southwest Strings - www.swstrings.com