High School OMEA Solo and Ensemble Information
Each year, students in grades 9-12 have the opportunity to display their talents and hard work at the Ohio Music Educators Association Solo and Ensemble Adjudicated Event. This is one of the most prestigious events for orchestra students of all abilities to attend. Students can participate through performing a solo and/or an ensemble of trio, quartet or quintet.
Students will play a scale and their prepared piece for the judge. The judge must also be provided with an original of the music, with every measure numbered in pencil on the day of the performance. The judge will then give the student a rating of I to IV ( “I” being the best) and many detailed and helpful comments about the performance. The performance is typically done in a classroom with seating for a limited audience. Students from many other area schools will also be participating in this event.
This year’s event will be held on Saturday January 24, 2015 at
Firestone High School
333 Rampart Ave
Akron OH 44313
The registration fee for the event is $17.00 per solo and $22.00 per ensemble. This fee helps to pay for the judges and for the price of the awards and certificates. Please make checks to: Aurora Orchestra Association (AOA).
Students must choose a piece from the following required music lists:
String Solo list
String Ensemble list
Flute Solo list
Piano Solo list
Percussion Solo list
Registration Form - Students who are interested in participating must sign up through Mr. Burdett, even if they are preparing a piece with their private instructor. Students must provide their own transportation to and from the event. OMEA will send the instructor the time of each student’s performance one-week before the event. Please be prepared to perform at any time the day of the event. Students who have an unavoidable conflict and must request a specific time (i.e. Morning or afternoon) should see Mr. Burdett.
Please complete and turn in the REGISTRATION FORM to Mr. Burdett by
Friday, December 19, 2014
Piano Accompanists for Solo and Ensemble
- Make sure you call and reserve their services early – their time does get filled up quickly
- You will need to pay them for their time and talent – they should give you a price when you first make contact with them. Please pay the accompanist the day of the event or earlier. Do not send them a check in the mail after the date of your performance – that is rude.
- Everyone should rehearse with the accompanist at least once before the day of the competition. The more complex the piece is, the more you will need to practice with the piano
- They are professionals, so please treat them as such. Make sure that you are respectful and that you are on time for any rehearsals
- Listen to the advice that they give. They may have helpful suggestions with things like style, dynamics and tempo
Ann Ramsey – (330) 562-5256 (Aurora)
Pam Mehalis – (330) 562-3564 (Aurora)
* Please note that this is only a partial list. You are welcome to use any accompanist of your choosing. If you know of an accompanist who would like to be added to my list, please let me know.
Parents and students can get more information about OMEA at